The mission of Ocean Camp is to give priority to marine/environmental education in Gulf Coast communities as an opportunity to build marine science career interests, respect for our natural world and increase learning venues for our visitors.
We provide AL Gulf Coast Outdoor Education in Orange Beach and Gulf Shores through field trips and summer camp marine education in the environment for children ages 5-12.
- Blend academic science standards with field study explorations. Project-based inquiry, research, problem-solving and creative thinking are all part of our curriculum which is based on Ocean Literacy principles. A new 2016 certification, Compass Education, has been implemented to provide additional teaching strategies to enhance critical thinking opportunities.
- Wet and watery marine explorations for ocean lovers and future scientists ages 5-12 years of age.
Each 4-day week in June and July has a camp theme, whether marine animals, scientists, dolphins, sharks, ocean exploration, sea turtles and more.
Counselors in Training, ages 13-15, will assist instructors to give teens the opportunity to gain camp counselor experience, leadership, responsibility and confidence, while learning about the ocean.
- Earth day events, camp expos and Gulf Shore’s infamous Shrimp Festival are a few of the venues where we meet the general public to share environmental marine science topics.
Sea Turtle Talks
- Meet us at the beach just before sunset with chairs, blankets and snacks while exploring the journey of our Loggerhead sea turtles. During nesting season, the Alabama Gulf Coast welcomes over 50 nests on our beaches. Share the Beach, sea turtle volunteers, oversee the nests’ protection. Talks include life journey of a sea turtle, stories, games and a walk to search for nests.
Coastal Marine Life Center
- The goal of Ocean Camp is to host programs in a permanent facility open to the public. Touch tanks, aquariums, plus interactive displays along with family, school & camp programs will bring the underwater world to life for years to come.
Fresh Air Family
- Ocean Camp will offer activities for families participating in “Shape Up Lower Alabama” Jan – March 2017. Look for the schedule of activities on OC’s Facebook page and FAF Newsletters.